A Viking Invasion
This half term the Project for Year 4 has been ‘Let the Battle Commence’ and the children have learnt all about the Viking era.
Today was a special day and the children and staff of Year 4 came dressed up as Vikings – WOW! Everyone made a fabulous effort and looked great.
Also we had a day visit from Bjorn the Viking. Their day consisted of:
- Made their names in runes and gave themselves a Viking name and had a certificate made.
- Learnt how the Vikings navigated and how they invaded.
- Played Viking games with dice.
- Ground flour using a quern stone.
- Recreated a Viking battle, discussed famous battles and warriors and had a Shield Wall battle.
- Looked at Viking foods and talked about the cuisine of the time.
- Tried on clothes of the time.
- Looked at accessories of the period.
- Tried on Viking helmets and carried weapons, such as axes and swords.
- Looked at the punishments given during the period.
- Took part in a Viking quiz.
The children and staff had an amazing day and left with knowing more about the Vikings.